Friday, June 02, 2006

A few thoughts

If you know anything about me and my beliefs, you know that I am theologically conservative. I believe the bible to be what it says it is. This becomes problematic when the Christian "creation story" has bumped heads with evolution. There are many facets to the debate, but what you need to know about me is that I abstain from them. If God chose to make the universe in seven literal days, then that's his buiness. If he used "7 days" that spanned over billions of years, that's fine too. It doesn't take away from the literal truth of the bible. What so many people fail to understand is that human knowledge has limits. If God chose to use evolution, then how can he explain that to Moses so that he could understand. Human knowledge at that point did not have words in its vocabulary to encompass physics and biology at that level. I've said all this to inform you of a theory that I have proposed in the past. What if the laws of physics which God set into place required a 6 billion year old universe and a 4 billion year old earth in order to accommodate and earth that could sustain life? Whether he acctually took billions of years to make the earth or simply brought it about in a puff of smoke becomes a moot point then.
Why am I droning on about this? Well I was reading I Corinthians today and I thought about an analogy to this idea of God's laws of physics requiring events to happen in a certain way. It involves the following passage:
20But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.

21For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.

22For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.

Ok. Check this out "for since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead". Isn't that interesting? It doesn't seem that it's just a coincidence that Christ is the sacrifice for man's sin. Is it possible that there are spiritual laws of physics (I'll ignore the obvious paradox that comes from saying "spiritual physics") that God constructed in the spiritual realm so that the only way that man could be saved from his death is through the resurrection of Christ? In the same way that it makes the evolution debate moot, the concept of spiritual laws of phyics (I know, I know) would maked the debate over Christ's necessity and divinity moot. Anyone who argues that all roads lead to heaven is simply mistaken, because the laws of physics and necessity that govern the spiritual realm demand the sacrifice of the Son of God for the forgiveness of man's sin. There is no other way.
Most people don't look at spiritualism this way. Most who are spiritual are so in order to escape the rigity that they see in the church. Most don't understand that there must be laws to govern the spiritual as well as the physical. What I claim is that those laws are natural just like their physical counterparts (natural meaning that they are observable and man is subject to them, yet they are too created by God). These natural laws do not take things out of God's hands, but rather govern how things will happen in the universe and how God will respond, not because God is subject to them (laws of physics and biology are easily broken when God wills it), but because we are. What good would it be for God to create laws and have them mean nothing for us?

On a lighter note, when I was going into a convenience store this morning I had a thought. When you look at a map of North America, it's like Mexico is a foundation upon which America is sitting. This is quite funny, because a large part of the foundations for America's houses were surely built by Mexicans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen and many blessings.